Anyone who knows me knows that I have a very hard time turning down baked goods. I have also had a history of not being the best baker. You see, as I like to "pinch cook," I would tend to take the same approach to my baking, not always fully realizing that the exact chemistry of baking means you cannot sub out ingredients at will all the time and expect the same results. I had a very long standing reputation of never being able to master baking muffins. They would always sink or not rise at all. Or be weird little hard as rock protein cakes (not very appetizing). So this past year I made it my mission to be able to make muffins that, well, didn't suck. It took some time, but if I dare say so, I think I finally did it!
One night back in June I was having some cravings for baked goods, but was trying to be healthy. I had a ton of blueberries that were on the verge of going bad, and I am not a fan of wasting food. So after searching the internet for a recipe that was easy with ingredients I already had on hand, as well as something that would not make my IBS triggered stomach upset, I finally found this recipe that with a few tweeks turned out the best. muffins. I. have. EVER. made (seriously, based on my past muffin history, this was a major accomplishment). Dare I say even that they are the best blueberry muffins I have ever tasted? So having now successfully made them a few times I am sharing them with you.
These muffins are also gluten free, dairy free, and low FODMAP.
The BEST Healthy Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from Fun without Fodmaps
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Grease muffin tin.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, mix together coconut oil and maple syrup. Then add milk, eggs, and vanilla, and mix well (use a whisk).
4. Stir dry mixture into wet ingredients until just mixed. Do not over mix!! Gently fold blueberries into batter.
5. Divided mixture evenly into muffin cups. Top each muffin with a sprinkle of brown sugar. Bake for 25-30 minutes (based on how hot your oven is) or until done. Cool slightly before moving from pan. Serve warm or cool completely
Hope you enjoy them!